Avian Influenza Biosecurity for Youth and 4-H Members
Section 3. Biosecurity
- Traffic Control
(Clean everyday or as needed)
Sanitizing Poultry Drinking Water:
If you use ponds, streams, or wells as your source of drinking water for your poultry, you should consider adding a sanitizer such as chlorine to the water. This will reduce the level of harmful germs in the water and prevent the buildup of slime in your waterers.
- Bleach may be used to sanitize water by adding 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of bleach to 1 gallon of water.
- Measure bleach carefully because too much can be harmful to you and your birds.
- Handle bleach carefully because it can stain your clothes and burn your skin.
- If giving a vaccine through the drinking water, stop using bleach to sanitize drinking water 2 days prior to vaccination as bleach will kill the vaccine and make it not work.
- Clean waterers and replenish with fresh water daily.